Having been to Africa before, both as a tourist and a volunteer, I know how much organisations have to relay on donations and gifts. That is why I asked Wildlife ACT what kind of items they could use both in general and more specific at the location where I’ll be working from, UMKHUZE CAMP
I should have space left in my bag and will do my best to bring as much as I can. Of course donations toward a certain object/ for a certain location can be made as well. Check out their Givengain fundraising page.
Below is a list of items.
GENERAL WILDLIFE ACT WISHLIST AS SUGGESTED BY VOLUNTEERS & MONITORS
- Frying pans
- Coffee plungers
- Tools & small toolbox
- Decent kitchen knives
- Mugs and wine glasses
- Rope, string, cable ties
- SD cards (Sandisk 8Gb)
- Reusable Shopping Bags
- Rechargeable batteries (AA)
- Measuring cups/spoons/jugs
- Tupperware/plastic containers
- Pens, pencils, rubber bands, Sellotape
- Photos/pictures/artwork to brighten up our camps
- Old books (we love field guides and natural history books)
- Ink cartridges (HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 1515 / 2515 models)
- Cutlery (some of our cutlery is looking a bit mismatched and tired)
- Car washing equipment, such as sponges, Chamois, polish, etc.
- Reusable mesh bags for fresh fruit and vegetables – See Freshbags.co.za
- Flasks (hot tea and coffee are vital, when your morning starts at 4am) – to fill 6 mugs!
- Filter coffee (volunteers and staff love their coffee but good coffee is an expensive luxury)
- Zip-lock bags (useful for taking snacks out into the field & freezing leftovers for you to heat after a busy day out)
- Laptops (If you have recently upgraded and were wondering what to do with your older laptop)
- Binoculars (Often our volunteers bring their own but it would be great to have a few pairs for the volunteers who don’t have a pair if you have an old pair that you aren’t using any more)
UMKHUZE CAMP WISHLIST –> my ‘home’
- Electric Drill
- Gardening Tools
- Solar Fairy Lights
- Non-stick Frying Pan
- Shower Racks for soap, etc.
- Big Mirrors for Bathrooms
- Stainless Steel Cooking Pots
- Hand Towels for Bathrooms
- Video Camera (small size and high quality)
- Steel Cabinet for storing office equipment and files
- Outside Games (soccer ball, bats and balls, volley ball net)
- Travel Mugs for coffee stops during field monitoring sessions
EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES FOR IN-SCHOOL LESSONS & ENVIRONMENTAL BUSH CAMPS
- 1 x portable projector
- 1 x portable projector screen
- 1 x Speakers
- 3 x digital cameras and SD cards
- 3 x Smart Phones (with WhatsApp)
- 2 x Laptops (with 500GB harddrive, WiFi capability, Windows and Microsoft office)
Don’t think that you won’t make a difference by donating just a ‘small’ thing. Every single item is a huge step forward.
Please feel fee to share this post on you FB, Twitter, Instagram or any other (social) media platform. Of course you can always contact me with questions. If I can’t answer them, I will forward them to Wildlife ACT.
Thank you so much! Together we can and do make a difference.